Creating Exchange 2000 server in Exchange 5.5 organisation

  • From: "Sanjeev Srivastava" <sanjeevmcse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 21:40:15 -0600

The scenario is: A new Win2k server (DC) has to be installed with Exchange
2000 and mailboxes from the old 5.5 server(running NT4) are to be migrated
to this. I am stuck at a point. Please guide me.
As per MS technet guide,

1. I Installed W2K server and AD (New domain)on a new machine. Installed
the ADC on the DC with one way Exchange5.5 to Windows connection
agreement, and replicated.I got the Exchange 5.5 user accounts in ADUC on
this new Windows 2000 DC server. So far so good.

2. I gave the 5.5 service account all the Admin rights in the new Windows
2000 domain too since I think I have to use such an account to install
Exchange 2000 that has rights on both Exchange servers.

3. I logged off and logged on the new Windows 2000 DC with this 5.5
service account and tried to install Exchange 2000 on this new server in
the same organization as the 5.5.

4. I get the error: "The account you are logged in must have Admin rights
for exchange 5.5 site and configuration objects."

BUT the point is, this account HAS all these rights (Since it is the 5.5
service account). I checked the Exchange 5.5 administrator too to verify
the rights.
So what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.