Re: Couple of Noobie Questions from a Linux user

  • From: "marvc" <marvc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:10:07 -0400

I'll give it a shot starting with question #2
I want to remote admin the server across the network using mmc but I do
not have the snap-ins I need on the client PC. Where can i get them,
specifically Domain users and exchange users.

You need to install the admin pack from the w2k server cd. This will
provide you with access to the server tools needed to manage your users
and servers. The admin pack is located in the i386 directory. Also make
sure you install the Support tools and resource kit if you can. These
can come in handy every now and then.You also need to install the
exchange admin tools which are located on the exchange server cd. Just
insert the cd into your pc and you'll be allowed to select the exchange
tools. This will allow you to manage the users email boxes etc.

How do i see who is actually logged into both my mail server and
file/print server (is on the same machine)at a point in time and can
this be
stored someplace so I can review who logged in and when etc ?

I may be a little off on this one, but here goes:
You need to make sure you have the necessary auditing options enabled
via policy. Do this either via local or domain policy. You can select to
audit logon access and some other security options that'll allow you to
see who's logged on. This can be viewed via Event Viewer. YOu can also
check out some of the tools available at sysinternals. They provide some
pretty good utilities you can use for monitoring certain functions &
happenings on your network.

I'm sure someone will chime in with answers in a minute or two. 2nd day
of summer, these guys are prolly out taking in some well deserved sun.

anyway...hth

Got no replies last time, does anyone knw the answer to these 2 ?

thanks