[ewiki] problems with 8-bit filenames in ewiki.tar.gz

  • From: Mario Salzer <mario@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ewiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:46:59 +0200

   somebody posted a message onto the FrontPage (which suddenly short
after MrDialPrefixSpammer deleted again):

HEY LEUTE! DIE LETZTEN ZWEI VERSIONEN DER DOWNLOADBAREN APPS SIND NICHT
EINMAL KORREKT KOMPRIMIERT - ES GIBT STAENDIG DEN ERROR "tar:
ewiki-R1.01e/init-pages/CrearP\341ginas: Cannot open: (null)". ZUSAETZLICH
GIBT ES HIER NICHT EINMAL EIN BUG-TRACKING-SYSTEM! WACHT AUF UND
PROGRAMMIERT MAL WAS ANSTAENDIGES!

   run through caps lock and babelfish filter this reads:

[...] the last two versions of that downloadable apps [?] aren't even
compressed correctly - it always yields the error "tar:
ewiki-R1.01e/init-pages/CrearP\341ginas: Cannot open: (null)" [...]

So it appears someone has problems with untaring the archive. Obviously
it is releated to the extended L1 characters in the above filename
(spanish page version). I can only guess it is a windows (cygwin?)
version of some tar util (not necessarily GNU).  Amusingly the above
bug poster used 7-bit ASCII in his message, so maybe it's just him having
a guessworking system.

Has anyone had similar problems?  Does anybody know a workaround other
than converting filenames into UTF-8 (bad idea since ewiki doesn't
understand this)?
Or should we just provide a .zip file in the future?

mario