[etni] using native speaking peers to encourage English speaking

  • From: Michelle Smilowitz <mmsmilo2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:52:55 +0000

I'm currently trying to create an appropriate activity (or series of
activities) to encourage and create opportunities for "authentic" spoken Hebrew
in the 8th grade EFL class.  My intention is to bring together the school's
native speakers and EFL learners (who are equal in numbers), and have the girls
work in pairs.
One idea I'm considering is some sort of subject-based research activity where
the native speakers and EFL learners are taught separate background information
(about, for example, earthquakes), creating a situation where both partners
come to the meeting with information necessary to complete a specific task.
However, I am very interested in hearing if anyone else has ideas or
suggestions for a program like this, particularly if it's something that you've
actually successfully implemented in the classroom.  A "getting-to-know-you"
type activity is not ideal, since the girls spend most of the day together in
the same "kitat eim" and thus already know each other pretty well.
Thank you in advance for ideas!
Michelle Smilowitz