[etni] update from REED regarding literature program

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:10:42 +0200

Today coordinators received the following update from REED:

"During the school year, when your counselors visit your school, you
will be asked to show them the plan for your literature program,
together with the backward planning, Unit Planners (or unit plans, if
you are not using the official Unit Planners) and sample student work
so that we can all be sure that the program is being implemented
properly.   Coordinators: You should also show your counselor your
Coordinator File so she can help you be sure it is all in order (the
Coordinator File will be updated in the coming days)."

I would like to share my initial response, to this directive and to
raise a few questions.

- Has this directive been given to all coordinators or only those who
come under the auspices of REED?
- In the case of a class doing the log, it is clear to me why
qualified personnel with established credentials should see samples of
students' work and at a later stage the logs themselves.
- Who has these credentials and what are they? The directive, it
should be noted, assumes counselors have the right to carry out these
inspections.
-  "so that we can all be sure that the program is being implemented
properly." Who  are "we all" ?
- What authority or sanctions do the counselors have in cases where
they are not satisfied with the implementation of the program?
- The list of works to be studied will have been with the inspector
from September 30th. Who gives anyone the right to  inspect the
planning materials, of qualified teachers?
- Is there any other subject taught in Israeli high schools where
teachers are directed to show such material?
- Is there any doubt that there are teachers whose written plans make
sense only to them, while doing an excellent job of teaching and
evaluating the literature program?
- Is there any doubt that there are teachers whose written plans and
program planning may make a wonderful impression on the counselor, but
whose work with the students is really not up to scratch?
- Am I alone in thinking that this emphasis on untried and unnecessary
bureaucratic procedure stands in stark contrast to the spirit of the
excellent site created on the TLC site? - http://tlc.cet.ac.il/
- The slogan of TLC " Thinking Through Literature and Culture" makes
so much sense.
- Counselors with the time and tools to enrich our literature teaching
program will be welcome in any school
- Big brothers and sisters  visiting our schools in the quest for
correct procedure are unlikely to spur us on to greater things.

However much I fear  that  teaching literature for a grade will result
in adverse results I am disciplined enough to do my best to achieve as
much as is possible.  The courses and tools provided over the last few
years go a long way in facilitating our success. At the same time
teachers and their organizations  have resisted attempts to ignore the
needs of person behind the classroom door. The struggle over the
initial Hots program left scars and suspicions on both sides.  Perhaps
I am being hypersensitive but my perception of the directive from Reed
is a negative one.  I am willing to be part of any conversation with a
counselor that is aims at improvement. I am loathe for the only
contact (we know counselors do not have time for multiple visits to
schools), to be devoted to an inspection of soulless paperwork and
plans of proper implementation.

It would be interesting to know how other teachers and coordinators
see this issue.

Anonymous