[etni] Re: time

  • From: "Bari Nirenberg" <nirenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ybmedad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:43:46 +0200

**** ETNI on the web http://www.etni.org.il   http://www.etni.org   ****I
actually brought up this point in a private discussion with Batya, so I
thought it would be appropriate to repeat what I said to her.  Pupils who
take an entire 3 or 4 point exam on the same day will be at school for 4
hours and 45 minutes, 3:45 of which is actual testing and the rest of the
time being the breaks between tests (assuming that the breaks will be 1/2
hour each).  5 pointers have only one break, so the total time will be
shorter.  That's a very long testing day.  The only time in my life that I
ever remember being tested for that long was when I took the PSAT and SAT in
high school and the GRE in college (and now that I think about it, I also to
the NTE -- National Teachers' Exam, or I think that was what it was
called -- at the end of graduate school).  None of those exams were taken
during periods of time when I had to take a lot of other exams and none of
them tested a single subject (the PSAT and SAT tested language skills and
math, the GRE tested language skills, math and logic and the NTE tested a
whole bunch of different subjects).

I thought that the 3-hour exam was long, but 3:45, even if there are breaks
in the middle, seems a bit excessive to me and I pity the students who have
to do it all in one day.

Bari