[etni] testing selectively

  • From: Susan Pel-Or <sumartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:22:38 +0200

They say there is nothing new under the sun.  Many, many years ago when
I was a primary school student in New York City we had citywide music
appreciation tests.  We had to recognize the music played, composer,
etc.  Based on a pre-test, certain students were told to stay home so
that the school average would be higher..

What it did do for us is that we were taught words to the music e.g. In
the hall of the mountain king, mountain king - in the hall of the
mountain king from the Peer Gynt Suite by Grieg.  And, This is the
symphony that Shubert wrote and never finished.  So I who have a very
poor auditory memory can identify these particular pieces by name
whereas  for just about everything else I know, I know it but can't for
the life of me identify it.

Sue from Netanya