[etni] Re: student teachers on ETNI

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "avrahamroos@xxxxxxxxx" <avrahamroos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 13:39:10 -0800 (PST)

While I certainly don't condone writing nasty letters to anyone on the list, I
do question whether the tone of the responses were really that nasty, or
whether the person receiving them was just insulted because she was taken to
task for her spelling. Because honestly, I do think that spelling is important
when posting to a professional list of English teachers. If these student
teachers can't be bothered to improve their spelling or even to use spell check
and a dictionary when writing on ETNI, they'll surely make just as many
mistakes in the classroom. As someone who also teaches student and beginning
teachers, I cringe at some of the mistakes I find on their assignments - how
can they possibly be expected to teach correct English to students? My absolute
"favorite" is a teacher who took 2 points off a student's test for misspelling
a word, then wrote in big letters next to the 98 - "Exalent!" (yes, that's how
she spelled it). The student's mother, who
 happens to be my cousin, called me to ask for advice on whether to say
something to the teacher or not. Not surprisingly, she's lost all confidence in
the system, and doesn't expect her daughter to learn too much English without a
massive dose of private lessons. So perhaps your student teachers should,
instead of just quitting ETNI, consider that perhaps there is a something to
learn from those nasty messages?
All the best,
Rivka (who did NOT, just for the record, write anyone about poor spelling)

Hi,
I am encouraging my student teachers to sign up and post to the ETNI list.
On the whole they get very friendly replies and good advice, hoewever, some
got surprisingly nasty responses from teachers commenting on their
spelling. One of these new subscibers has already told me she is not going
to write again.

Could that really be within the ETNI spirit?

Avraham Roos