[etni] our unions

  • From: barkan michal <barkanmi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:47:11 +0200

A great idea, Daniel, to get some real advice from other unions. I hope you are
considering countries where the educational system is good and successful?!  By
the way, I'd like you also to ask them if, for 50 years, they continued to
defend every person who became a teacher, was incompetent, and continued to
teach just because it was a "cushy" job, with good holidays and conditions,
knew he would get his salary whether he did a good job or not, and WAS ASSURED
THE UNIONS WOULD BACK HIM UP JUST BECAUSE HE WAS A UNION MEMBER.
We do have real issues that haven't been addressed by the committee, but I'm
not surprised Dovrat did not want anything to do with our unions, since they
are partially responsible for the state we're in now, and for the fact we lack
the public's respect. Let's be honest, how many teachers have your children had
who were "born teachers", who cared, knew how to teach and what to teach, and
did it with love and a feeling that teaching was a real art?
Maybe it's about time, REAL teachers (I know, they are usually naive people,
not politicians) get organized and ask Dovrat to be consulted before any
further action is taken. Somehow I think it would be welcomed by the committee.
True, it would weaken the unions, but if one is a good teacher, he should not
be worried because under the new system he will be rewarded for doing a good
job.
I have a feeling my letter will not be favourably received, and I will be
considered naive.

 Michal