[etni] good source of info for kids doing projects

  • From: Mitzi Geffen <mitzi1002001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:39:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,
     One of my tenth graders showed me a great site full of articles about how
an amazing number of things work, with the very appropriate address:
www.howstuffworks.com . Not only is the author of each article noted after the
title, but you can click on the author's name and get a short blurb about his
background and credentials.
     Another project idea - I asked my 11th graders to write a letter to an
expert in the world - via e-mail, with a specific question related to their
topics. I wanted to show them that people in the world, even those we don't
know personally, can be a resource for information. We found that the site of
the University of Wisconsin has a link called "ask the expert" on it's home
page. The link is to a page of a list of experts by area of interest and
includes their e-mail addresses! It was really a thrill for the kids when they
received answers, as most of them did.
           All the best,
                   Mitzi Geffen
http://mail.yahoo.com