[etni] fwd: a few words changed his life

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 16:43:20 +0300

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: a few words changed his life
From: phyllis oded <phylliso@xxxxxxxxxx>

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY0ySyLKBsE

This video brought tears to my eyes. I remembered when my son,
severely dyslexic, was thrown out of high school because the teachers,
NOT the students, didn't want to MAKE THE EFFORT to walk that extra
mile. Did I say 'dyslexic'? He was/IS also dysgraphic and has
discalculia [number reversal.] BUT HE WOULDN'T GIVE UP! WE wouldn't
give up!

One day, by chance, I met the counsellor that had decided years ago
that my son would not be able to study in that high school due to his
'severe learning disabilities'  and she decided he could not continue
at that high school.

I told her, "I'd like you to know that my son has completed his second
degree M.A. in Criminology." I wanted so badly to add, '....and no
thanks to YOU!" ....but I didn't.

EVERY student is DIFFERENT. .....AND they each deserve the chance to
reach their full potential. It is OUR job as teachers/EDUCATORS to
make sure that they do!

Phyllis Oded
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/