[etni] fwd: Metuna demonstration for the safety of children

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:41:56 +0200

From: Valerie <gidyakar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Demonstration on 30.6.2005.

This is important to everyone of us.
Valerie.S.Jakar

Demonstration for the safety of our children on school busses.

On the 30th of June 2004 Lotem, Dekel and Aviv traveled home from school on the last day of the school year. They had satchels on their backs and school reports in their hands. (It was to be the last day of their lives). On the way, the bus driver went through a "red light" at a crossing and overturned. There were 70 children on the bus, some in the aisles, those seated did not have seat belts and there was no supervising adult on the bus.

Lotem, Dekel and Aviv were flung across the bus and killed. (All the other kids were hurt, most of them seriously). June 30th at 13.00 will be the first anniversary of their death.

Regulation 84z, which allows for 70 unaccompanied children, without seat belts to travel on a school bus - has become the focus of our battle.

Metuna - (the organisation for road safety) has been at the forefront of the battle and the regulation has been repealed.

We are now fighting for the implementation of new laws and budgets, which will ensure safety and protection for our children.

However a new law which has been passed, allows 50 children (2 per seat) on the bus but has not been implemented because no authority (ministry) will pay for it! Twenty percent more busses will be needed and if this does not happen then the other measures will not be taken either.

This is the "red line" which must not be crossed.

We sane people who wish to live in a society, which looks after, and protects its children, are gathering to demand accountability from the Knesset.

1. Two children on a seat.
2. Seat belts.
3. Adult supervision.

The Knesset must make sure that a budget be found before the start of the next school year.

YOUR CHANCE TO PROTEST AND DEMAND IS ON JUNE 30th at 13.00 at the east entrance of the Kfar Yona junction.

In order to ensure ample security please register your participation by calling Metuna

09  - 8844667 or email metuna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For interviews call Orna Klein
www.metuna.org