[etni] Re: etni Digest V7 #28

  • From: Howard Hanan Sibirsky <howdon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Howard Hanan Sibirsky <howdon@xxxxxxxxxx>, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, mabat@xxxxxxx, lkirshenberg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:53:48 +0200

Don't laugh.
But before I tell you the name of the book I want tell you about the school. We
had very good Bagrut results every year. And we had gotten the Prass Hinuch
four times running. I suppose that another place had to be found deserving.

The book is simply  Develop Your Grammar, ECB.  Look at it very carefully and
note how the exercises are written and also the sequence of exercises. The
vocabulary is O.K., but it can be easily understood.
Who said Grammar must be difficult to understand?

It always worked for me. It may not work for you.

In the letter I had written/ I mentioned that I had taught Spanish In
Connecticut. But I cannot delve into the system and the technological support
that came with the purchase of the text. We used to call it program teaching.
If you are interested let me know and I will explain it to you. In all my years
of teaching English in Israel I have used some of the techniques of this
system. But the set up here, in Israel,  possibly our mentality, and the school
plants as they are built, maintained and organized would not allow for such a
system. In other words, Balagan and Shitat Ha Peteck don't work; not to mention
self-discipline and punctuality.

Now I would like to write a few words to Lea.

Lea, thanks for your e-mail. I liked what I read. However, I asked  myself if
new ways of teaching grammar are taught or is it the same old stuff but in a
different color.

Also, teachers tend to teach they way they had been taught when they were
children and not the ways they are taught to teach.

I would like to ask you to send some written material that will give an idea of
what you wrote about.

Thanks a lot to everyone who expressed his or her opinion. You have been very
kind.

Howard Hanan Sibirsky