[etni] Re: etni Digest V4 #43

  • From: "Hedy" <hedykib@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:35:07 +0200

Hi everyone,
My thoughts on the listening. When the listening was worth only 10 pts
on the exam, it didn't bother me as much as it does today since it is
now worth 30 pts of an E exam and that is a lot. There are a number of
students in my 11th grade class that do absolutely nothing and will get
a good grade for the E exam since they just have to listen to a simple
text (it is simple) and answer a few questions. Then most of them do
extremely well on the E and not as well on the F/G, but still get a good
grade for 5 pts. Are they 5 pt students? No, yet they have passed the
exam.
I do think listening is an important skill and I do it all of my
classes, not because of the bagrut but because it is an important skill.
However, how to test it is a different problem.
If it can not be tested in a more authentic situation, then maybe it
should not be included. Or maybe it should be included in the oral
exam.Another possibility would be to give it less points and add a short
cloze or some rewrites to E. Why not? I still give clozes and rewrites
to my classes as I really believe they help improve their language.
I know that there is a problem since E is also the last exam for 4 pts.
Nevertheless, 4 pt students should have a certain level of English in
order to pass the Bagrut and therefore, should be able to complete a
short cloze and some rewrites.
Sorry for rambling on, just wanted to add my thoughts.

Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 9:00 AM
To: etni digest users
Subject: etni Digest V4 #43

-