[etni] cursive writing

  • From: טיטלבאום טובה <teitel_j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:19:36 +0200

To the best of my knowledge real cursive script was dropped from the curriculum
in English speaking countries in the 60s of the last century. Basically when we
stopped using a nib dipped in ink.What is taught and used nowadays is a
combination of print and cursive  which I call joined up print.In this age
where most of the writing is done on the computer, sms, or other non
handwritten technology it seems a pity to waste so much time on teaching
cursive. I remember as a child having a half hour writing lesson every day of
the week to practise writing correctly.
It is far more important to teach the correct shape , flow and laterality of
each letter(print form). This will help all learners - knowing where each
letter starts and more importantly completing it correctly so that so that the
wrting implement automatically goes on to the next letter in the correct
directionality. From here it is an easy step to join up the letters into cursive
From my 20 years of experience of teaching and research, children with dyslexia
 enjoy writing in cursive but CANNOT re read their own  writing nor any
one else's either.
Many elemetary schoool teachers feel resentful of all the aspects of the
language they are expected to cover: literacy skills from teaching the alphabet
to reading comprehension and book reports,  writing skills - from teaching
letter formation to writing a short paragraph.
communicative skills - from the first "hello" to giving a short talk. Basic
grammar and sentence structure are also expected to be taught!!! (and no, I am
not an elementary teacher)
Tova T.