[etni] Re: cursive writing

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:21:51 +0200

From: Naomi & Ziggy Sobel snsobel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: cursive writing

I'm  retired but for whatever it's worth here's my opinion
on cursive writing. I've always made a point of dedicating
a few lessons to cursive writing in my classes. While not
insisting that my high school students hand in their written
work in cursive, I did, however, expect them to be able to
at least decipher it. I used cursive much of the time when
writing on the board or making comments on their work in
my 5 pt and dovrei anglit classes. (sometimes even in
weaker classes)

Every elementary school child (beginning in 3rd grade I
think) in the U.S., and most of the English speaking
adult world wherever, learn and use cursive, (be it under
or overhand) so why is this skill overlooked in Israel?
Moreover, I found that most of my students were eager
to learn cursive and once they mastered it many used it
or used it partially. At the very least, they learned how
to sign their signatures. I believe it was worth the time
and effort.

** Etni homepage - www.etni.org **