[etni] a bit of clarification

  • From: "David Lloyd" <david@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 17:21:37 +0300

Hi all,

Just a bit of clarification about the use of sarcasm and irony in messages
to ETNI, as there appears to be confusion here.

I think that the clever use of sarcasm and irony is an important literary
skill, which often adds to the discussions. There has been no lack of
sarcasm and irony in the discussion of the issues over the ETNI list these
past 14 years. We even have our own brilliant resident satiricist, with his
own ETNI column on the ETNI site and his regular contribution to the ETNI
Rag.

But  let's not confuse sarcasm with abuse and cheap personal shots. When we
talk about a professional discussion of the issues, we are speaking about an
environment in which people can express themselves without fear of being
personally abused for their opinions.

Unfortunately, there are people who become increasingly abusive when their
views aren't readily accepted. In many forums on the Internet, such
behaviour is a common phenomenon. But there is no room for it on the ETNI
list. I have made this perfectly clear since the ETNI mailing list was first
established 14 years ago. If there are those who want a discussion list
which allows for a mud slinging free for all, they are welcome to create
one. It is very easy to set up, nowadays. They can even announce the new
list over ETNI so that they can reach people there who are interested in
subscribing to the new list.

That said, I will continue to refuse messages to the list which contain
personal abuse and will cease threads which become increasingly abusive.

I also want to make it clear that I welcome criticism of the way in which I
run the ETNI list and the ETNI site. I am managing ETNI completely by myself
on a daily basis, and as such, don't have the benefit of daily input from
others. So feel free to send criticism and suggestions - either to me
personally or for publication over the list.

Thanks,

David

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/