[etni] Yom Hashoah and English Bagrut

  • From: Rita Braunstein <ritabr.gail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 10:22:45 +0300

I wanted to share a letter I sent to the Minister of Education today.  If
others share my frustrations, please write too.
Dear Rav Piron,

I am an English teacher in a Yeshiva High School.  I have lived in Israel
for nearly 40 years and have always found it extremely important to speak
with my students about Yom Hashoah, to bring stories about how our people
survived, their bravery, the sadness.  I am a child of Holocaust Survivors
who never had any grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. so it is
especially important to me.

Am I preparing lessons about the Shoah now? NO! And why? The Ministry of
Education is apparently run by people who do not look at our calendar when
they decide on the Bagrut exams. The English Bagrut is in less than three
weeks so I am testing my students, or, I don't even see them as they prepare
for Bagrut exams in other subjects. I find this totally unacceptable.

I understand that nothing can be done about this year's tests but I am so
saddened by the fact that Yom Hashoah will not be mentioned in my classes
this year. I hope that maybe if I relay my feelings, and you hear it from
others, this will not happen again.  Please make sure that the JEWISH
calendar is taken into account when the Ministry decides on activities of
any kind. That is part of Education too.

Thank you for reading this,
Rita Braunstein

** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/