[etni] So what are we doing?

  • From: Gail Shuster-Bouskila <gailshb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:31:30 +0200

**** If I had the chance to do it all over again. - www.etni.org ****

If we only teach for the NBA requirements, aren't we ignoring the real
challenge? Are we preparing our students to COMMUNICATE and to
COMPREHEND  English?
As a person who sees students in school as well as in the Reading Comp.
program at Open U., I feel that our goal has got to be oriented to
producing competent non-native English speakers.
When we taught rewrites, what were we actually facilitating? What was
the purpose of clozes with 25 RANDOM words eliminated? (I did like those
dialogs though...)
All systems are imperfect by nature, but we can still help our students
strive for competence.

--
Keep in touch, Gail Shuster-Bouskila

HOMEPAGE: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Pantheon/8127/

"If we are taught what to think, but not how to think,
     we end up not thinking at all" -- Mordecai M. Kaplan