[etni] Re: Reading for Punishment

  • From: Susan Pel-Or <sumartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:07:41 +0200

>kids today don't read at any level in any language

I beg to disagree!  There are kids who read today.  I have grandchildren
who read and I know they are not the only ones.  Ask in the libraries
that have good children's sections.  And I emphasize good. Having been a
teacher-librarian in a former life, I also found that you only had to
have a story on tv or a movie of it for the kids to flock to the library
for the book. I went into a school library that had old books with small
print.  For example, we had such a copy of  Little Women. It was never
taken out.  As soon as I got a nice edition with good print and space on
the page I had a long list of girls waiting to read it.  I still have
former Australian students coming up to me and telling me of their fond
memories of the books they read from the libarary.  Two of my four
grandchildren asked for specific books for Channukah.  Some children
don't read on any level.  Some kids have never read.  Some kids learn
language like they learn everything else, by hearing it.

Sue from Netanya