[etni] Reading for Punishment

  • From: golomb <golomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:41:23 +0200

I would like to reiterate some of the comments made on this list.
The program started as "Reading for Enjoyment".
I, personally, dislike reading in Hebrew, although I read fairly well.  I am
prepared to read long articles in the newspaper, but that's as far as it goes.
When I studied Hebrew literature at the university, with the sole aim of
improving my Hebrew, I read "The Black Box" by Amos Oz in English.
Forced reading is not pleasurable.  What has happened is that many students
have come up with very creative ways of cheating on book tasks and have become
masters in deception.
I sincerely believe in encouraging reading, but first the students must be
readers in their native tongue.
I have overcome some of the problems by letting my students choose any level
they feel comfortable with.  I would rather they read honestly at a low level
than cheat at a high level.
Nina