[etni] Re: Purposely Making English as Difficult as Math

  • From: sara g <saragabai@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI list <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 08:46:13 +0300

This doesn't make sense. because the skills of a 5 pt math bagrut are
needed only by those who enter the sciences, but every educated world
citizen needs a level of at least 4 pts english.

if the MOE wanted to really have an advanced level of english bagrut,
they could create an optional "mugbar" 7 points by either adding the 2
pts of translation to english (now it is a completely separate
subject) or adding an advanced 2 pt unit of literature. (something
like the mugbar in sifrut).
   sara g

2010/5/5 Ask_Etni <ask@xxxxxxxx>:
> I recently attended a wedding in Jerusalem. There I met a couple of old dear
> friends. (She is an experienced English teacher and her husband is the
> principal of a very large successful high school.) During our debate about
> the HOTS issue, her husband dropped a bomb:
>
> He claimed that recently at a "kness menahalim" this issue of HOTS, he
> claimed, was partially explained. It seems that there is a disagreement
> between the heads of English at the MOE and those heading the overall
> general education departments: The latter claim that it is unreasonable that
> only about 5-8% of our pupils pass the 5 point bagrut in Math, while a much
> higher percentage of graduates succeed in English. Hence, there are plans
> underfoot (perhaps the HOTS is part of this??) to make the 5 points exams
> MUCH harder in English, and the 4 points equally so. What about the weak 4
> pointers? They'll have to "make do" with passing the 3 as do many pupils in
> math. The difference of course is that 4 points in math is not a general
> requirement rather primarily a "must" for university students interested in
> the math and the sciences, while the 4 point exam in English is a
> prerequisite for everything in higher learning.
>
> I wonder how we can check this out????? Any ideas???? If this is indeed
> true, (I don't doubt the veracity of my friend's words,) is there nothing we
> can do to protest???
>
> Anonymous (I want to keep my job!)

> ** The ETNI Rag **
> http://www.etni.org/etnirag/