[etni] Re: Project Woes

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 05:34:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Adele,

I agree with you that projects are not difficult to grade if your rubrics are
clear - the problem lies more with the feedback you are supposed to give your
students. For example, in last year's project, I wrote about a page and a half
of feedback for each student, because they had worked so hard and for so long
that I felt that I absolutely had to respond accordingly. As you can imagine,
that took quite a bit of time, even though I had a class of 20 and not 40 like
Bari has now.

As you said, during the project there isn't so much to do, but the work
beforehand is what drives me crazy. Did I tell you that I've been working on
the unusual projects since right after Sukkot, and still haven't gotten
anywhere near finishing it? Unfortunately, unlike you I don't really have
anyone to split the preparation with, and in addition, I generally prefer to
work on my own on these types of things. (my problem, I know) Of course I plan
to reuse and recycle my projects, but in the meantime, the amount of work is
overwhelming... Plus, I wonder how long projects will actually last. I can just
imagine ironing out the last of my glitches only to find out that the Ministry
is doing away with the entire projects program, and now expects us to go on to
something totally new!
I like your idea of having the students answer listening comprehension
questions on each presentation. That's what was lacking in last year's project.
Having each individual / pair / group prepare the questions is just an added
"English bonus".

All the best,
Rivka