[etni] Professional Posters etc.: Ms Borenstein's post

  • From: "David R. Herz" <drh16@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 09:17:34 +0300

It would seem to me that the best way to get what you are looking for is to
take the whole project as one big teaching opportunity, from fixing the
paint chips and leaks on down.  Let the students take ownership of the
project and they will surprise you with what they do.  Also, if they
perceive the room as theirs, they will be less likely to damage it or
tolerate damage to it.

So, let them fix the chips and leaks and choose the colors for the walls.
Let them paint it.  Get your administrator to allow them to spend some extra
time either in school or after to do the work.  Then discuss with them the
displays they want on the walls.  Tell them you would like to see the
alphabet.  It just makes the room feel more English to you.  Find the
artists in the class and work with them on doing the cursive displays.  They
will learn the letters better that way, and you will have something
inspiring to look at.  Maybe teach them about fonts, get some heavy gauge
plastic and have them come up with a stencil set in their own unique
typeface.  In dealing so intimately with the letters, they will not be able
to help learning them.  You can also teach them about symbolism and hidden
meaning.  Then get them to think about a design or design elements that they
could incorporate that represent them or English class, or their passage
through school or time.  Have them explain these elements to the class and
lobby for their incorporation.  Let them work together to try to form a
consensus, and while they are doing that, why not get them to think about
what other equipment the class could use - computer, digital projector - and
see if they are willing to take on making those things materialize.  If you
want to take it one step further and give your technologically inclined
students a chance to shine a little, there is the Do-It-Yourself option:

"With a growing DIY <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIY> -community and an
increasing interest in low cost <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_cost>
devices, some hobbyists <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby>  have
endeavored to build their own projectors from kits, sourced components, or
from scratch. Through the internet, the community is now able to obtain
plans to construct DIY-video projectors.[5]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_projector#cite_note-4> [6]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_projector#cite_note-5>  Although most
DIY projectors use HID lamps, some projects feature conversion to LED [7]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_projector#cite_note-6> [8]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_projector#cite_note-7> There is a
growing trend toward building them for domestic requirements and classroom
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classroom>  use. The DIY-projectors are now
being used both in developed countries and in developing countries
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_countries>  in the interest of
providing education <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education>  as well as for
entertainment <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entertainment>  purposes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_projector

Subject: [etni] Professional posters  and stencils for English room

Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 19:50:42 +0300

Once the chipped paint and leaks are taken care of in our English room

(junior high), I want to combine students' work with a few "professional"

posters and cue cards. To be specific, I'm looking for a poster of the

cursive alphabet, memory games, stencils for lettering.  Who sells them in

Israel (before I send the folks "back home" a shopping list)? What other

suggestions that work can you give me?  Note: There is no budget for a

computer in that room so computer related ideas will not be of help.

Thanks.

Rachelle

PS - I'd still like to get a few more answers about Irgun teachers and the

internal Meitzav grading practices - the feedback is important. Please send

directly to my email if uncomfortable putting them up on ETNI.