[etni] Fw: Book tasks

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 14:59:30 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Esther Revivo - estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Book tasks

Bravo Tova for your wonderful ideas! I too promote artistic book report
tasks instead of written ones. (We do enough compositions! :) Over the years
I have received models of castles; harbors; forests and other  places;
envelopes with let's say a ring inside and a letter relating to a story;
many maps, as you mentioned,  showing where major events in the story took
place. I still have in our English room a gorgeous poster on "The Emperors'
New Clothes" - a stunning piece of artwork with 2 sentences written beneath
it drawn in seventh grade by one of this year's seniors (girls in 12th
grade. )

Kids love these artistic options, especially children with artistic creative
abilities and few outlets at school for them. (Are there any schools,
regular schools not those specializing in the arts, which still have a class
for art and/ or handicrafts? Budget cuts killed ours years ago.)

Ora, your "Wanted Poster" is imaginative and creative- what a marvelous
idea!!! No surprise at the positive feedback you received! I hope you don't
mind our using it!

Despite the option for doing something artistic, there are still pupils who
prefer a written task, such as writing the author to give her opinion on the
book read; writing a recommendation such as a critique that would appear in
a newspaper; etc.

We all seem to agree-- the main issue here is promoting the love of reading!