[etni] Module E

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 05:50:06 -0700 (PDT)

Thinking over the Module E situation, I realized that this problem was
inevitable, and there doesn't seem to be any real solution. Let me explain:

Module E is the hardest text of the 4-point exam, and so should be the easiest
of the 5-point exam. However, because both Modules F and G have writing tasks,
it must also be the longest text of the 5-point test. If so, it wouldn't make
sense that the long text in the 5-point exam is the easiest of the three texts,
and it seems to me that that's why Tuesday's Module E was so difficult. The
Ministry obviously treated it as the equivalent of the long reading
comprehension in the old 5-point format, conveniently forgetting that it's also
part of the 4-point exam. How can we expect 4-pointers to cope with a text on a
5-point level?!!

I personally don't see any easy way out of this dilemma, but maybe some of you
will suggest brilliant solutions for the Ministry to adopt.

All the best,
Rivka