[etni] Module E

  • From: "A. Roos UPP" <avrahamr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:13:51 +0100

My students did Module E yesterday.
It was quite the right level. Not too easy and not too many trickey questions.
Here are my comments:

1. Students who had did the exam orally were tested on only the first two
questions. Question 1 was fair, question two was difficult and many students
(both regular ones and the ones tested orally) made mistakes. For a 'regular'
student, that is ok, he/she loses a few points and that's all. For a student
who has only two questions, this is fatal. I wonder if with them the marking
should be as strick as with other students.

2. One of the reasons our students had difficulties with the second question
was the following: Having studied modals and their use, they know that the
modal can expresses ability. Therefore, whenever they ask if they can leave
class the standard reply is 'you can, but you may not', as may expresses
permission. The critical sentence for answering correctly for question 2 was:
'Kids under 14 can be employed in a few select jobs - acting and modeling, for
instance - but they can't pack groceries.' Though the sentence is perfectly
clear to us, the students took this as being able to, and therefore made
mistakes.

3. The third paragraph in general was quite confusing in that it was not clear
at all whether according to the speaker, Mark Brady, acting and modeling are
extremely demanding jobs or not. There is much to say for BOTH readings of the
text, which influences the way students can answer the question.

4. I liked question 5. It checked understanding of a grammatical point (use of
present perfect) in a natural way. Great job!

5. Question 6 was a good one as well. It demanded an overall understanding of
the text without being trickey.

6. The listening was clear and the questions were ok. I had expected a few more
questions though. Again, if there are too few questions, each question gets a
lot of weight and each mistake takes off a lot of points.

On the whole a fair, good, precise test with reasonable length and difficulty.
I give it a 90!

Avraham Roos
You can contact me on ICQ #22351330
or MSN avaway@xxxxxxxxxxx