[etni] INDIRECTLY SPEAKING / Imaginary debate on all-English classes

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:15:18 +0200

Does the following sound familiar? No, it is not from an Israeli newspaper,
but from a newspaper in Japan.
Comments?

INDIRECTLY SPEAKING / Imaginary debate on all-English classes
The Daily Yomiuri - May 26, 2009

Several people have asked me why I haven't commented on one of the hot
topics among English teachers in Japan--the Education, Science and
Technology Ministry's revised teaching guidelines, which require that as of
2013 teachers teach English in English in all Japanese high schools. The
main reason I've refrained from discussing this is that it affects Japanese
teachers far more than people like myself. So instead of listening to me
rant, let's just switch on the mics in the teacher's room in Anyhighschool,
Japan, so we can overhear the discussion between Saito-sensei and
Watanabe-sensei.

Saito: The revised guidelines worry me. English is supposed to be an
academic subject, but it seems like the ministry wants to turn it into an
extension of English conversation lessons, with that emphasis on listening
and speaking. Isn't that what private conversation schools are for? This
"let's learn conversation" focus doesn't make sense in classes of 35
students. Pretending that we are having conversations with them, assuming
that this is somehow real, living English, it's a charade! Anyway, I'm
supposed to be preparing students for success on university entrance exams,
the basis of this school's standing and success, and teaching as a rigorous
academic discipline, a part of classical education.

Watanabe: Saito, we have to separate conversation from communication. The
revised guidelines' emphasis is upon the latter, not the former. English can
be taught as a tool of communication and still maintain its academic
qualities. And if real communication is the focus, the content should be
more engaging, too. More exposure to actual English, including input from
the teacher, won't hurt the students' academic standing.

Saito: But Watanabe, you and I are hardly perfect English speakers. Our
pronunciation may be better than the average Japanese person's, but it's
still distinctly Japanese pronunciation. And I still make mistakes with
particles, articles and in finding the perfect English expression. Is it
fair to the students to use our imperfect English as a model for them?
Nativelike modeling is one of the reasons the JET (Japan Exchange and
Teaching) Programme was started, a reason we have native speaker ALTs
(assistant language teachers), right?

Watanabe: Yeah, we have Japanese accents, so what! Saito, most English
speakers in the world are not native speakers--most speak "imperfect"
English, like us. I don't mind admitting that to my students. I think the
positive impression they get when they see a teacher, who is Japanese just
like them, showing competency in English, is much greater than any
negativity arising from our not being perfect or from not meeting some
dubious standard of "correct" pronunciation. And isn't trying to develop
competency, or at least a level of comfort with the language, a more valid
target for our students than perfection?

(To read the whole article, go to -
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/language/20090526TDY14001.htm  )