[etni] Hitting a nerve!

  • From: Barbara or Yaacov Ori <ojacob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:22:42 +0200

Sharon Tzur really hit a nerve (not on purpose) when she mentioned the example
of training to be a nurse in regard to the hi-techers getting "vetik" for their
years working in front of computers. I worked twenty years as an intensive care
nurse and then studied English lit. and got my teaching certificate ..When I
tried to get some "vetik for my nursing work", the Ministry refused even though
I argued that I had been working in the public sector..I am sure there are many
other teachers who have had similar experiences.
When will the Dept. of Education get it? Instead of all these schemes to get
teachers (which are essentially like putting bandaids on serious wounds), the
only way to attract new and enthusiastic teachers is to change the image of
teaching into a more desirable and satisfying profession. This can only be
achieved by improving teaching conditions and giving teachers a fair salary and
benefits. What could be simpler??

Barbara Ori