[etni] Fwd: in response (again :)

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 21:09:53 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Esther Revivo <estherrevivo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: in response (again :)

I read with great interest the comments of veteran educators such as
Rivka Lewenstein about the log vs. exam debate. I would like to
respond to several of Sharon Tzur remarks:

Firstly, I agree with your comment "Even when students do an honest
exam, a one-shot exam is not an accurate measure of knowledge." David
Herz has repeatedly mentioned the pitfalls of the entire Bagrut/
Meitzav/ test oriented system. What if a pupil comes with a 39 degree
fever exam day? (…as one of mine did several years ago; she was
brilliant and today an attorney, but what of less gifted pupils?)

Secondly, you wrote: "Why is it that in the United States, teachers
give grades, and school transcripts are a major factor in acceptance
to college, but that thought frightens us so much in Israel?"  My Mom
z'l was a guidance counselor for 45 years. Counselors could greatly
assist pupils’ entry to college through recommendations and phone
calls which accompanied transcripts. BTW, you didn't mention the SAT
exams which were the 1st thing institutions of higher learning would
consider.

Additionally, you mentioned "In this very list, we read of a teacher
who wonders if she shouldn't take students who barely have a chance of
passing Module A to a four point bagrut with a failing grade in order
to give them a better chance of going to university."  I believe you
meant me! I do not expect acceptance of such pupils to university, nor
do I feel does any responsible educator. However there are weak 4
pointers who have it much harder than in the past as we are currently
saddled with too much to do in too little time! Moreover, even ‘second
rate’ colleges demand a 4 point bagrut exam (or 'mechinah' with the
explicit condition that the student pass the aforementioned 4 pt.
exam) in order to get a degree.

It is facetious that a pupil wanting to be a kindergarten music
teacher must have 4 pts. ‘under her belt.’ I once mentioned a pupil
from a local moshav. She dreamt of teaching music in gan. She could
play several instruments and loved children. However she never managed
to pass the old 4 pt. exam (we didn't have 3 moadim/ chances per year
then) so ended up being a cashier at a supermarket instead. THAT is
ridiculous!! It is this type of situation that I hope to prevent!

An American friend joined a discussion about yesterday’s math Bagrut
on Facebook. She quoted her son thus:  “He complains that everyone
teaches for the bagrut and not for the knowledge or understanding of
the subject...” I cannot but agree with him as we are not equipped
with enough hours as we were in the past!! I want my English classroom
to be as invigorating and challenging as it was until we were stripped
of 1 critical weekly hour.  The bottom line is that parents want
results on Bagrut exams. Period. And if the MOE doesn’t seen fit to
address my emails and others like it requesting more hours,  it seems
the situation won’t change in the foreseeable future.

Esther Revivo
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/
** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org