[etni] Fwd: Why we can't teach phonics and why we can with..

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:30:24 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Julia Solomon <julia-laptop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Why we can't teach phonics and why we can with..

What sort of a language is this?

If 'ough' can be sounded  'oo' as in 'through'  then 'dough'  may be
sounded as 'do'.

If 'i' can be sounded as 'y' as in 'onion' and 'aw' is sounded as in
'your' and 'c' is sounded as in 'face' and  'a' as in 'any' and  'l'
is silent as in 'calf',  then' iawcallf' can be pronounced as
'yourself'.

If 'o' is sounded  'u' as in 'love',  then 'o' can be pronounced 'u'
as in 'a thing'.

If 'gh' can be sounded ' f'  as in cough and 'ea' sounded as in
'great' and 'our'  sounded 'er'  as in fern, then 'gheavour' can be
pronounced as 'favour'.

If 'our' can be pronounced as 'er',  then 'lourn' can be pronounced as 'learn'.

If 'u' can be sounded   as in 'sue',  then 'tue' can be pronounced as 'to'.

If 'p' is sounded as in 'shepherd'  and 'r' as in 'carrot' and 'o' as
in 'bureau' and 'n' as in 'mnemonic' and 'ou' as in 'bough' and 'n' as
in 'knee' and 'c' as in 'circus' and 'e' as in 'have'.  Then
'phrreaumnoughknce'  can be pronounced as 'pronounce'.

If 'ai' is sounded as in 'said' and 'e' is sounded as in 'pretty' and
'ci' is sounded as in 'special', then 'aingleci' can be pronounced as
'English'.

So the following sentence:

Dough   iawcallf o gheavour:  lourn  tue  phrreaumnoughknce   aingleci!

Is read as:

"Do yourself a favour : learn to pronounce English!"

The ambiguities that pervade the English language (with three out of
every four words not pronounceable from the spelling) are not usually
a problem for the automatic reader. Indeed you have probably picked it
up by the osmosis process of constant association and repetition with
the spoken and written forms.  Most automatic readers have not even
noticed the almost complete absence of English spelling and
pronunciation rules, which renders a mine of confusion for the non
automatic reader who still needs to pronounce each word to register
its meaning .

For this very reason,  English is typically taught by the osmosis
method,  largely because it is too difficult to teach by trying
phonics. There are too many ambiguities and inconsistencies  which
make any attempt at phonic rules pointless.

But If you would like to find out how English reading can be taught
without the need for rules or for memorising  sight words, join me on
29 February when I want to share with you  a failure free phonics
system for teaching English. Please go to the flyer in the following
link for details:

http://www.etni.org/announcements/Reading_for_Sure.doc

Best regards,

Julia Solomon