[etni] Fwd: Using Test Scores to Evaluate Teachers Is Based on the Wrong Values

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:55:27 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: laurie ornstein <laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Using Test Scores to Evaluate Teachers Is Based on the Wrong Values

Hi All,

A NY Times article worth reading and considering.

I should be a cheerleader for the New York evaluation system for
educators known as the Annual Professional Performance Review system,
or A.P.P.R. I am the principal of a very successful high school where
students get great test scores. I have a wonderfully supportive
superintendent. My personal “score,” in all probability, will be high.

The right question to ask, however, is not whether this evaluation
system is good or bad for adults, but rather whether it is good or bad
for students.

To read the entire article -

http://www.nytimes.com/schoolbook/2012/01/25/using-test-scores-to-evaluate-teachers-is-based-on-the-wrong-values/

Laurie