[etni] Fwd: The impossible task

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 06:39:01 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jenifer Byk <byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: The impossible task

Ages ago I suggested that teachers calculate the hours that they are
supposed to teach during the year, as opposed to those actually
taught.

Now that the year is drawing to an end, it might be an idea to do just
that.  I think that many of you will find that you lose nearly a third
of your hours.

Now see how much time that gives you to deal with all the various
subjects  you are required to teach. (Which reminds me, what happened
to reading six books? Plus some sort of book report.)

So you have three years to complete the literature.  Actually 2 1/2,
since 12th grade ends at Passover. Wow!  In 10th grade even 5 pointers
find the going tough.  What about the the 4 pointers that Esther
often, rightly, reminds us of.  These are not the 4 pointers of 15
years ago. So come 12th grade, you probably have to spend most of your
time going over what was taught in 10th grade.

I do think that literature ought to be taught – even more so since the
last school I taught in, actively discouraged it.  On the other hand,
just now, at our Independence Day picnic, a woman was complaining
about how hard she was finding it, writing her child’s log!  Her child
has learning disabilities, serious ones, but I find my own students
being spoon fed by their teachers just to regurgitate their notes,
with little or no understanding of what they are being taught.

Of course there are brilliant teachers out there, but not all are. I
don’t think a program should be geared to a limited number of  hard
working brilliant teachers; a program should be workable for the
average teacher to be able to manage.

So teachers, get your calculators out and show the powers that be what
reality looks like.

Jennifer
** post to list - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** help - ask@xxxxxxxx