[etni] Fwd: Re: Avi's observations

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:37:46 +0300

From: laurie sapir <lfs22@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Avi's observations

Dear Avi,

I think there are many teachers  (the silent majority?) who understand
the need to standardize the teaching of literature to ensure that
literature has its due place in our schools  and thus, support the new
bagrut. Despite all the teachers that come forward on etni to reaffirm
how much they value and do teach literature (our staff among them), we
know literature has been ignored by a great number of schools as they
focus on preparing only for bagrut exams.

We are also very appreciative of the autonomy that the LOG alternative
affords us in terms of choosing pieces we like. We believe in the
teaching of literature, not just in our own classrooms, but throughout
the country.

We have been frustrated for many years over the gap between what we
are required to teach by the Ministry (good ideas that we support) and
what is tested (or not) on the bagrut. We have been asking for
literature to be back in the bagrut in a stronger way so as to remedy
this, and thus, are in agreement with you on all of this.

What is troubling and unacceptable to many of us is that we are not
compensated for the extra work as are teachers of biology and civics.
Their national administrators yelled and screamed and got these
benefits for their teachers. It isn't enough to simply be recognized
by our schools, and give ourselves strokes that we as English teachers
work hard, or harder than other teachers, including time outside the
classroom. It is upsetting that it has been left to the  English
teachers in the field to fight for more hours  (schools laugh in our
faces that 5 hours are recommended per week - if no one in the English
Ministry is demanding that it be translated into money, it remains an
eternally impotent suggestion at best ). It angers us we see no effort
being made on our behalf to demand financial compensation for the
extra work,  when we see that colleagues in other fields are duly
respected and compensated for efforts that will entail less work than
what is expected in English.

Once again, the problem is not goals of the new program. It is
negligence with which it has been left to teachers to fight for proper
conditions.

Very sincerely,

Laurie Sapir
English Coordinator