[etni] Fwd: My View: Kids have free speech right to be racists outside school (CNN)

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 09:11:04 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: laurie ornstein <laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: My View: Kids have free speech right to be racists outside school (CNN)

Hi All,

This may be USA-based but with the current racist atmosphere
prevailing in Israel, this provides some food for thought. You might
use this article as  basis for a class discussion.

Last month, a few high school students sent out racist tweets about
Washington Capitals player Joel Ward after he scored a winning goal
against the Boston Bruins in overtime. Responding later in an
interview, Ward, who is black, said, “People are going to say what
they want to say," and he shrugged off those comments. But the
students' high schools sure didn't.

Almost immediately after reports of the tweets, the schools began
looking into ways of punishing the students for their actions outside
the classroom. The schools absolutely should express their discontent
with the offensive tweets. But should they punish the students? Do
they even have the ability to do so? Not likely.

To read the entire article:

http://schoolsofthought.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/25/my-view-kids-have-free-speech-right-to-be-racists-outside-school/?hpt=hp_bn5

Laurie

** post to list - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx