[etni] Fwd: LD diagnosis

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 15:24:14 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jenifer Byk <byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: LD diagnosis

Dear List,

I have an adult friend who was diagnosed dyslexic while at school, and
at that time received all the necessary dispensations for Bagrut.
However, she would like to be tested again, not only in order to get
all the available dispensations and help when she goes to the Open
University, but also to help her define other aspects of her life
which have been affected by her disability.  She has done a lot of
research into the various places offering a diagnosis.  Quite a few
seem of dubious reliability, and those she has,  of course, ruled out.
 From my experience with pupils needing diagnoses, I know how many
unprofessional organizations there are.  It often seems to be a case
of “You mays yer money and ye get your dispensation – exams read, no
points off for spelling and extra time.”  Even this friend, tested at
the time by Nitzan, was told that she could never be expected to be
able to deal with mathematics.  This was rather odd, since mathematics
was one of the few areas in which she excelled.

Does anyone out there know of a reliable, serious organization which
tests with the aim of steering clients towards the type of help they
are in need of?

Many thanks in advance.

Jennifer

** post to list - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx