[etni] Fwd: ETAI conferences, webinars and ETNI

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 20:38:29 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: naomi epstein <naomiepstein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ETAI conferences, webinars and ETNI

After the very successful ETAI conference there were a number of postings
about those who didn't attend. As someone who found it a fascinating and
enjoyable experience, I've been thinking about that and would like to share
an experience I had.

One group of teachers who didn't attend were those "who would if could" but
they were unable to, either because of young children at home, financial and
technical difficulties relating to travelling to Jerusalem, etc. I think
ETAI has done a lot in reaching out to these teachers by having the mini
conferences around the country. I attended one this year and was very
impressed, while finding it close by and convenient!
I wonder if those who know about such technical things, think that ETAI
could also offer a few WEBINARS during the year. I've just attended my
second one and it is great! A webinar is a sort of online lecture, but more
interactive than a screencast and it is given live. the ones I attended had
me register ahead of time, and then I got an access Internet address. It was
at 10p.m our time (they were American lectures) which is convenient for me.
I sat comfortably at home and could hear the speaker, see the slideshow
he/she was showing, answer online polls relating to the lecture (for
instance, the lecturer asked the audience how they would grade such a
composition, I chose an answer and shortly afterwards the results of the
entire audience was shown on the screen). In addition, there was sort of a
dialogue box you could open on the side where people asked questions. The
lecturer could see them and related to some during the lecture, the rest he
left for a forum discussion on the website.
The lecture was 50 min.
By the way, the speaker of the second webinar broadcasted from a quiet spot
in the airport he was stranded in(!!!) so I guess that not a lot of
technical equipment would be needed.
It is wonderful to hear a serious speaker from the comfort of your home!

Back to the conference, regarding those who didn't attend and NOT because
they couldn't make it to Jerusalem. I wonder how many of those who attended
are on ETNI. All the teachers I have personally talked to about coming to
the conference are not on ETNI. Some remembered going to such a conference
once when they were  students but were surprised we still have them, and had
no idea of all the people from abroad coming because they aren't on ETNI.
Some expressed surprise that the conference counts toward gmul. Others said
something along the lines of "you've been to one you've been to them all".
None of these teachers had seen the preliminary program because they don't
use any of the sites that were announcing it.
Does anyone know if most of the people who attended are, in fact, on ETNI?
Is there an additional way to advertise ETAI's great activities?

Naomi Epstein