[etni] Fw: yearly headache

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI List" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 15:15:55 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: sbshai
Subject: yearly headache

Linda, I completely agree with you -- and Sara, as well as anyone else who
sees the necessity for a yearly grade.  But I must reiterate, as has been
repeatedly noted on this list, that few of us are fortunate enough to be
able to stick to our declared policy -- either as a consequence of lack of
support from the administration, parental pressure (which in turn has the
hanhala on our backs) or whatever else.

Of course, in a case where a student in a reputable school has not been
doing any work despite our attempts to inspire it, no question is asked.
But this is rare, at least in my school.  No matter what we say (I've often
said that there is no "Divine right" to reward without exertion!), students
expect a bonus anyway.
Sometimes they complain about the unfairness of students in schools with a
poor work record (little or lax requirement for extensive reading, projects
and literature study, e.g.) getting high grades so easily.  (Adolescents are
not typically appeased when we point out how much richer their knowledge
is!)

Therefore, I think much of the problem stems from a lack of clear guidelines
and uniformity.  As someone has said, school administators should be made
more aware of the MOE's requirements since this will help them support the
teachers and stand firm to parental pressure, not to mention improve the
learning level in their schools.

It's high time that the yearly grade should be seen as a boon to us and our
students alike, instead of being the baneful source of annual headache that
it is now!

Suggestions for improving this state of affairs are welcome.

Batya

 P.S.
There is a relevant point that has been omitted from this discussion --
namely, how the Bagrut has unfortunately infringed on and/or overridden our
teaching territory -- but perhaps it would be best to save that for another
time.

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal