[etni] Fw: "situation" lesson plan

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:48:43 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: laurie ornstein - laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: "situation" lesson plan

Hi All,

 This is what I did in my 9th and 10th grade classes this morning (double
lessons - 1 1/2 hours).

  With helicopters and planes flying overhead and the news blaring loudly
24/7, I felt it was important to give my pupils a chance to express their
thoughts and feelings on the war. I made it clear that all opinions and
feelings were legitimate and gave everyone a chance to speak. They all
listened to each other...important.....and without interrupting! As we
spoke, I wrote down their feelings and thoughts on the board. (about 15
minutes)

 Next, I handed out large sheets of newsprint (cheaper than oak tag or
poster board ) and a supply of colored markers. I asked the pupils to design
posters expressing their thoughts and feelings about the situation. I told
them they had to include a title/captions in addition to their drawings.
They worked in pairs. Again, there was an array of ideas, slogans, feelings,
etc. expressed. (about 45 minutes)

 Finally, each pair presented their poster to the rest of the class,
explaining their rationale. Then the class commented or asked questions
about the poster presentation. (about 15 minutes)

  I'm going back to school soon to hang up their posters for all to see.

  I think this activity can be done in different grades and on all levels.
The kids appreciated the opportunity to speak their mind. Often,  I've
noticed, it's easier and kids feel freer to express themselves about
sensitive topics in a foreign language.

In peace,
Laurie

        Call for Articles