[etni] Fw: re: attracting English teachers

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:22:11 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Leonie Lachmish - simchagirls1@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: attracting English teachers

Barry pondered : Would our kids, if she had agreed to have any, be Jewish?

Notwithstanding that Daniel made important points that need to be addressed
by ...(Lord knows who will ever address them) , I liked what you wrote,
Barry.
Teachers are still paid a pittance and can hardly afford much beyond the
basic necessities but every now and then, those of us who chose to make
Aliya, should afford ourselves at least the chance to look back
philosophically on the decision we made when we were so young and/or
idealistic, to leave the easier life to rough it here amongst the prickly
sabras. I have never regretted that move and when I perform for native
English speakers and ask them where they came from, I inevitably find myself
adding that where we came from is less important than where we came to and
why.
Defying the cynicism so fashionable for 2 decades now, I am sure many of you
share my sentiments about your own children and those of your friends who
heard the same "Lech lecha me'artzecha umimoladetcha...el ha'aretz" call:  I
am convinced that my own 15-24 year-old non-prickly sabras would probably
not have been such wonderful, relatively unspoilt, caring  young Jews and
Zionists (with the outstandingly superb friends they have made at school and
in the Army) had we lived abroad - and if they possibly could have been so
fantastic, they'd have come on Aliya and left me there anyway.
Leonie  http://lachmish-hafakot.com/singlish/singlish1.htm

Barry wrote:
>First of all, I would like to thank Daniel for clarifyng how
much I'd be making if I had stayed in Canada.
People are always asking me that and I never know what
to say.   Of course, if it's Winnipeg people who are asking,
they want the answer in beaver furs.
Some friends who left Israel 27 years ago, chiefly over
money, worked for a fancy Jewish highschool and
claimed to make $60,000 EACH annually, and that's
when the dollar was a dollar and a dime was a dime.
Then they returned to Israel, bought a house, and
I quit teaching and started to clean it.
I know that there's a ministry office in Jerusalem where
immigrant teachers are interviewed, guided and coached.
I have heard wonderful accounts of how  many teachers
have been helped there, but nobody ever mentions it,
but I will and not just  because the woman who works
there is my sister in law.
Shouldn't there be some automatic response from ETNI
to direct people straight there and head off all those inquiries?
If I had stayed in Canada, I hope I'd be earning more
than 12,000 Shekels a month.  I'd be paying that much to
the Hebew school, and that's without having any young children.
Of course, gas is cheaper there and snow is free.
 If I had stayed in Canada, would I have married Sylvia?
Would she still be alive today?  Would our kids, if she
had agreed to have any, be Jewish?
These are qood questions to ponder on a day when you're
supposed to get all your grades in.
If you want to attract teachers, put on a clean blouse and a
skirt and put out a nice cheese tray.
Gets me every time!!