[etni] Fw: re: attracting English teachers

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:57:35 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Silverberg" <barisil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: attracting English teachers

First of all, I would like to thank Daniel for clarifyng how
much I'd be making if I had stayed in Canada.

People are always asking me that and I never know what
to say.   Of course, if it's Winnipeg people who are asking,
they want the answer in beaver furs.

Some friends who left Israel 27 years ago, chiefly over
money, worked for a fancy Jewish highschool and
claimed to make $60,000 EACH annually, and that's
when the dollar was a dollar and a dime was a dime.

Then they returned to Israel, bought a house, and
I quit teaching and started to clean it.

I know that there's a ministry office in Jerusalem where
immigrant teachers are interviewed, guided and coached.

I have heard wonderful accounts of how  many teachers
have been helped there, but nobody ever mentions it,
but I will and not just  because the woman who works
there is my sister in law.

Shouldn't there be some automatic response from ETNI
to direct people straight there and head off all those inquiries?

. . .  If I had stayed in Canada, I hope I'd be earning more
than 12,000 Shekels a month.  I'd be paying that much to
the Hebew school, and that's without having any young children.
Of course, gas is cheaper there and snow is free.

 If I had stayed in Canada, would I have married Sylvia?
Would she still be alive today?  Would our kids, if she
had agreed to have any, be Jewish?

These are qood questions to ponder on a day when you're
supposed to get all your grades in.

If you want to attract teachers, put on a clean blouse and a
skirt and put out a nice cheese tray.

Gets me every time!!

Barry Silverberg