[etni] Fw: poor question on Bagrut

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:51:58 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Sharon Tzur - sharontzu5@xxxxxxx
Subject: poor question on Bagrut

Dear Etniers:

I feel so frustrated as a Bagrut examiner when I come across questions which
I think are problematic.

Summer Moed Bet G - the question about why the term "unexpectedly" is used
to describe Mr. Treasure's work. The answer that  I would give if this were
an open ended question is that one would not expect a drummer to go into a
business which specializes in the subtle use of sound. This is not one of
the options given, and one is forced to give the answer that one would not
expect Mr. Treasure to become a business advisor -  only because the other
answers were so much worse. However, this is not really a correct statement.
What are we saying - that drummers lack the intelligence to go into
business? Of course, a lot of kids chose the answer that one would not
expect Mr. Treasure to like classical music. This is not a correct answer,
but it does hint at part of what the true answer should be.