[etni] Fw: modular math.....

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:58:13 +0200

From: "sarag" <sarag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: modular math.....

As some of you might remember, I teach both math and English.Both the
subjects started the "tzvira" with last year's 10th graders. And I must say
that the problems with the module bagrut in math are at least 200% worse
than with the English bagrut!

The decision for the gmulim will be taken by misrad hachinuch and the irgun
for both the subjects - so we are (not) getting gmulim yet.

Another problem is that the math mafmar sent out mock exams in the summer
and then resigned! So we had no one to ask questions about anything that
wasn't clear. And there were A LOT of contradictions between the hozer
mafmar from March 2003, the one from the summer, and the mock exams.
A wonderful substitute mafmarit was appointed, and she did her best to clear
up some of the problems. But - she wasn't always able to do this. For
example, there was a certain topic that was listed in one part of one of the
hozrim, but not in the other. SO - should we teach it or not? A lot of
teachers did teach it (this is part of the 3 point - second test - like B )
. And then the substitute mafmarit sent out a notice (in mid October) that
this topic WOULDN'T be in the bagrut this year! So whoever taught it really
"wasted" about a month!

I'm not even starting to tell you about other problems with the new
curriculum - and the question of how it will or won't help raise the level
of the mathimatical education in Israel . And there was no one to send our
comments to!

About 2 weeks ago a new mafmarit was appointed - so maybe things will start
to be better...(but it's a little late to start telling us what will be in
the bagrut in May...)
So - now you (whoever has kept reading) know more about the math modular
bagrut than you ever wanted.

And, again, KOL Ha'Kavod to Judy Steiner, who reads our questions and really
tries to answer them!
(I think that a lot of the problems stem from the fact that the modular
bagrut was "sprung" on the mafmarim, by politicians, and they had no choice
but to somehow work with it.).

   shabat shalom,
    sara g
sara g in israel