[etni] Fw: misguided English?

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:01:28 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: Daniel - ydaleph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: misguided English?

You mean there are teachers who teach a language without the literature? How do you that? How do you teach appreciation and culture of a language without literature. I believe what John Keating says in Dead Poet's society captures the importance of poetry, stories of a language - espcially English best when he says: We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

The new literature component added by the Ministry of Education it seems to me is a re-enstatement of what good English already know and do in the classroom. Aren't I right?

Daniel

** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org or - http://www.etni.org.il **