[etni] Fw: buffer overrun in Office 2003

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 17:01:43 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sharon Tzur" <sharontzu5@xxxxxxx>
Subject: buffer overrun in Office 2003

Dear Etniers:

I'm sending out this message because some of you may run into the same
problem that I did, and perhaps I'll save you hours of computer rage.

I use Office 2003 Hebrew with Service Pack 3. Until recently, everything was
fine. Then, 2 days ago, my kids found that they were unable to open or use
files.  Upon opening a file, a pop-up window from virtual library c++
announced a buffer overrun and Word closed.

Well, I tried "repair and detect", I tried turning my computer back to an
earlier restore point, and I even tried to reinstall Office on my computer
again from disk, but nothing solved the problem. However, earlier that
morning, I had tried a search on "buffer overrun" on Google, and there was
some sort of message about problems with Office 2003's Hebrew spell check -
only I didn't make the connection between that message and my problem,
because I thought my problem had to do with opening files. But who know..?

So, I went back to Work and I tried to open files in English and had no
trouble. However, as soon as I typed in a Hebrew word, I got the error
message again (and Word closed). Then I opened Word again and turned off the
"detect spelling errors as you type" - and, voila - I was able to open the
Hebrew files. However, invoking a spell check called up the error message
and closed Word. So actually, the problem WAS the Hebrew spell check all
along; since I generally enable the  "check as you type" option, as soon as
I opened a file and a Hebrew word was encountered, the spell check checked
it and the problem occurred.

The net offered a patch to download and install to solve the problem, but I
couldn't get the patch to work. (It said I had the wrong version of
Office..). Not wanting to continue to use Word without my Hebrew spell
check, I called Microsoft. Having a legal copy of Office does have its
advantages!! (Available dirt cheap for teachers..)

Here was the solution - (Read my recommendation at the end BEFORE you do
this!)
Go into C
Double click on Documents and Settings.
Double click on User  (This might not be right for everyone... I think it
might depend on how many users you have)
Double click on Application Data
Double click on Microsoft
Double click on Proof
Double click on Custom.Dic
Select all the text in the file. (I think the shortcut for that is
Control-A)
Delete!!
Click "Save".

Sounds like a strange solution, but is worked.

IMPORTANT - I recommend you make a backup copy of the Custom.Dic file before
you erase all the text and save it. That way, if you want to go back to the
original file, you will still have it. A good way to do that is to make a
copy of the file and put it on your desktop, or some other convenient place.

Hope this helps someone! There's nothing as frustrating as not being able to
get Word to work!

Yours,

Sharon Tzur