[etni] Fw: Songs and games

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:32:38 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: byk - byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Songs and games

Yes Mitzi,

I use songs and games all the time and entirely agree with you.  But in
first, second and third grade the songs often come out as gibberish, and
sometimes pupils are discouraged because they have no idea what is going on
in the English class.

I have found, weird though it may sound, that teaching reading gives ample
time to the slow students, gives plenty to do to the fast ones, and allows
them to acquire vocabulary slowly and surely.  It also weeds out the real
dislexics from those who just need more time.  This is invaluable for
eliminating the situation where some poor teacher mentioned  - was in 23?
pupil who needed reading to in one of her classes!

Jennifer