[etni] Re: Fw: Return to the question of reading

  • From: Mitzi Geffen <mitzi1002001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ask@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:37:04 -0700 (PDT)

I still say it all has to do with how and why you teach the song at every stage
of learning English, including the very first lesson. There is no reason for
the lesson to be a free for all because a song is taught, or for the words the
kids sing to be any less clear than the words they say without a tune. I'm sure
good and bad examples can be found for the implementation of every teaching
method.
         Best wishes for a successful year of teaching,
                Mitzi

From: byk - byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Return to the question of reading

Perhaps I wasn't clear, when I dismissed (but not entirely), the use of
songs.

I am not thinking of the higher grades - say from fifith grade.  I am
thnking of the absolute beginners.  It is here that a garbled message is
received.  Look at Sandra's letter, again.  I believe her son's
experience
is common.

Two messages are conveyed in these classes:  English classes are a
free-for-all, and the average kid comes out of two years of English knowing
colours and animals, and for a lot of the time, has no idea what is going
on.  The first message continues to have fallout, right through to 12th
grade.

Now I know this is not true in every class, and I am certainly not blaming
the teachers for this state of things.  Many of them are barely trained, and
are thrown in at the deep end, with no real guidance from their text books
(And no guidance or knowledge as to how to choose a text book).

Of course you may all disagree with me.  And of course there are many
different strategies for teaching language.  But it should be obvious to
all, that when we have reached 22 pupils out of a class of 35, who need to
be read to, that something is wrong with the way technical readiing
(decoding), is being taught.  I am suggesting that much more attention
should be paid to it in the early grades, when the children have the
patience to practice what might later be considered boring.

Jennifer