[etni] Fw: Equivalent Hebrew and English Idioms

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI List" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 11:52:09 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry Mullish" <hm48@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Equivalent Hebrew and English Idioms

Hi Everyone:

I was just wondering whether it would be of interest for teachers of English
to have a collection of idioms, which both in Hebrew and English are
identical in meaning, but not necessarily word-for-word. If you would like
to add any of your own to my collection, please do so and I shall distribute
them in the future.

What I mean is shown by the following examples:

Where there's a will, there's a way.
אין דבר העומד בפני הרצון.

He is the salt of the earth (a high compliment).
.הוא מלח הארץ

All's well that ends well.
.בסוף טוב, הכול טוב

Regards,