[etni] [FWD: Re: not wanting to be a teacher]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:46:12 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Re: not wanting to be a teacher
 From: eyuval <eyuval@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 I watched that commercial again. Let me say at the
outset that in real life I would always defend the teacher,
at least in public. However, a commercial is not real life,
although life has a way of following art. The teacher, who
is obviously young and inexperienced and cut classes the
day they taught defusing situations, attacked the parent.
When the father (and if he behaves like that with a teacher,
I don't even want to think about how he acts toward his wife.
It's no wonder the kid is having "social," i.e., emotional
problems.) raises his voice the first time, she chooses the
worst option possible, she tries to educate him. And if she
hadn't been cutting classes when they taught you that if a
child suddenly starts having problems you should ask the
guidance counsellor what's going on, she might have been
a  little more careful in her choice of words.

The father may be presented as an off-the-wall stereotype,
but that kind of behavior should be reported to the police.
Actually, over the years I found that abusive parents tend
to be less violent and more destructive. In real life the father
never would have shut up over the dinner table, he would
have told the kid that the teacher and her attitude were
responsible for everything that was bothering him
(the child) in school.

The commercial, as far as I can see, will do more harm than good.

With regard to influencing votes in an Etni poll, well, it
might and it might not. It might influence someone who
was thinking of becoming a teacher, yes, but anyone
already in the system, I'm not so sure. Personally,  I don't
think Lev is to be taken to task, rather whoever dreamed
the thing  up.

 Elizabeth Yuval