[etni] Editor's Notes: Averting the next school strike

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:50:43 -0700

(To read the whole article, go to - www.etni.org/news/avertingstrike.htm
)

Editor's Notes: Averting the next school strike
The Jerusalem Post -February 11, 2005
By David Horovitz

A copy of the Dovrat Report, for the radical reform of the Israeli
education system, was placed in the teachers' room at one of my
children's schools not long ago.

"Every now and again, one of my colleagues goes over, picks it up, and
begins leafing through it," a teacher there told me this week. "But
then, pretty soon, you hear a muttered wail of, 'I just can't face it,'
and the offending volume is put back down again.

"We teachers are a fairly conservative bunch," she went on, "not always
the most receptive to change. But in this case, I think there's genuine
cause for concern. Many of the ideas behind Dovrat are good. But are
these recommendations realistic?"